As a designer there is no greater feeling than a homeowner using and loving their new kitchen that you helped create… your collective vision came to life… but the worst feeling is a lovely kitchen that is not user-friendly and does not function to its fullest potential.
Islands can be used for so many functions in the kitchen… as stand alone activities or as the hub of the entire kitchen… Some of these activities are:
to house appliances of all kinds
prepping and clean up zones
storage… lots of storage
eating – entertainment zones
and other various zone combinations.
To plan your perfect island in your kitchen consider the following:
1. Space: Make sure you have enough space to properly use the island & function in your kitchen. Make sure your work zones and walkways are space sufficient.
2. Style: The island is a wonderful place to add that “pop of color”, add a different door style to create a furniture feel or that unique “design element” you have been wanting to incorporate into your home.
3. Budget: The wonderful thing about islands is that they can be very economical… a few cabinets and / or table legs and you have a wonderful work space – eating space in one.
2. Make sure your designer adheres to NKBA’s Kitchen Planning Guidelines to help you create a safe, effective and efficient space. These guidelines address space planning, appliance placement, seating and much more.
The wonderful thing about the kitchens & baths of today is that whatever your budget there are fashion forward options within every price range. From Cabinetry to Appliances, Countertops to Flooring, Plumbing to Lighting – there is something out there to fit your budget and style.
This doesn’t mean that you don’t create those dream files or ideabooks with everything you love, but it is your gauge for all involved to know exactly how much can be spent on what, who and why – no matter how small or big the job.
Guidelines for a Kitchen Budget: Home Value x 15% = My Budget
* 2002 Design Trends Survey Update for NKBA by Sovereign Marketing Research, Fifth Avenue, New York
I am part of a “NKBA” group on Linkedin and a discussion is going on right now: “What colors are trending right now in kitchens?” And hands down White is the color of choice – all shades of white! From warm to bright, glaze to no glaze, cream to antique, and the list goes on and on. Certain key points were made that I would like to share with you – I found some excellent Wellborn Cabinet Designs from our dealers and designers on Houzz to illustrate what is going on right now!
Clean lines, simple door styles with a modern feel while delicate hints of “personal style” are still scattered through-out the spaces.