Since the COVID-19 pandemic, many more people work from home. When working from home, you need to know how to create a home office space. Having a designated home office can increase inspiration and productivity. Whether your workplace is a spacious room or a small home office den, these design ideas can help you create a comfortable area where you enjoy working.
Select the Location of Your Home Office
You need a designated work area before you begin creating a home office. Some people have a spare room or den they can use. Others have to combine their office with another room. It doesn’t matter where you place your office, only that it has a place. If you have several options for office can go, consider lighting and sound.
- Lighting: It is best for an office to be in a room with natural light. Exposure to natural light improves sleep quality and vitality. If you position your desk near a window you can look out of, it can increase your mood and reduce boredom.
- Sound: If you don’t work well with noise, you want a room away from the noise and traffic in your house. If you only have one good place for your home office, you can use ear plugs or background noise to block out distracting sounds.
Choose Your Color
Once you know where your office will be, you can design it. An important aspect when designing your office is choosing the color. While this might seem mundane, colors influence productivity and mood. Colors to consider for your home office include:
- Red and orange: Warm colors like red and orange are a good choice if you do a lot of meetings because they increase energy.
- Blue: Blue relaxes you and reduces blood pressure.
- Green: Green decreases stress because of its connotation with earth.
Avoid white because it can lead to boredom and mind-wandering.
Choose a Desk for Your Home Office
Choosing a nice desk to sit at for eight hours a day is vital. You need to measure your workplace before choosing a desk. Once you know how big your desk can be, you can decide what type of desk you want.
In general, you can choose between a sit-and-stand desk or a traditional sitting desk. Purchasing a desk with an adjustable height is recommended when working long hours. The benefits of adjustable height desks are:
- Better health: Adults who sit for prolonged periods have an increased risk of cardiac death, cancer death, diabetes and death, in general, compared to those who sit and stand.
- Increased work performance: Workers who sit and stand have improved job performance and focus.
- Potential for weight loss: A sit-and-stand desk can increase physical activity levels and contribute to weight loss.
Invest in a Comfortable Chair
If you will be sitting for long hours at your desk, you want a supportive, comfortable chair. Ergonomic chairs provide lumbar support throughout your day. You can purchase an ergonomic chair or adjust your workstation to reduce pain and discomfort.
- Backrest: Ensure your chair has a backrest that matches the natural curve of your spine and provides support to your lower and upper back.
- Padded seat: Your seat should be padded, comfortable and height adjustable.
- Armrests: If your chair has armrests, they should be soft to allow your shoulders to relax and your elbows to remain close to your body.
- Base: The chair should have a steady base with five wheels.
Home Office Storage Solutions
Once you know how spacious your office will be and what desk and chair you want, you can consider storage. Storage cabinets for a home office are an excellent option for creating a clean, organized space. Wellborn Cabinet has a wide selection of office cabinets to choose from, including:
- Built-in cabinets and shelving
- Base cabinets with desk file drawers
- Utility cabinets
- Cabinets with a file drawer base
- Wall bookcases
You can customize your cabinets with Wellborn Cabinet and choose from our wide selection of styles, including:
Office plants provide numerous benefits. They can increase productivity by 15%, improve air quality and increase workplace satisfaction. You don’t have to have a green thumb for house plants. There are many low-maintenance species, such as orchids or succulents. They can produce a pleasant aroma and earthy atmosphere to decrease stress.
Customize Your Video Background
When you are on a conference call, you want to appear professional. Aside from your attire, you should also consider your video background. You don’t want clutter or too many personal items to appear in the shot. Aspects to consider include lighting, the background, décor and a wall mural.
- Lighting: If you considered natural lighting when setting up your office, you might not need any additional lights. If you do, try to place light sources behind the camera.
- Background: A video conference background should be relatively neutral, even if you painted your office blue. You can leave the wall space behind you a different color or use a mural or other décor.
- Wall mural: You can design a wall mural to complement your professionalism and add a creative touch to your home office.
- Décor: You can also choose paintings or other art pieces to decorate your background. You could decorate based on a theme, like antique. Art on your walls can give the impression that you are cultured and professional.
Contact Wellborn Cabinet, Inc. Today for Your Storage Needs
Storage is one of the most critical aspects when designing your home office. You need a designated place to organize your documents and other desk items so you don’t end up with a cluttered workstation. The best method for office storage is cabinets. Cabinets are professional and spacious without taking up too much space in your home office.
Contact Wellborn Cabinet today for your storage needs. You can also request a catalog or find a Wellborn Cabinet dealer near you! We are Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers of America (KCMA) certified and pride ourselves on getting it right the first time. You won’t be disappointed with our heirloom cabinets that you can pass down for generations with proper care.