A bathroom remodel can be an expensive and stressful home improvement process. There are ways to create a restful and luxurious bathroom without breaking the bank. The following tips will help guide you to an affordable bathroom remodel and include design ideas for how to incorporate bathroom cabinets.
How Much Should A Bathroom Remodel Cost?
A typical bathroom remodel can contain anywhere from under $1,000 to up to $5,000 worth of cabinetry. As the saying goes, the sky’s the limit when redoing your bathroom. The items to consider when estimating the cost of a bathroom remodel include: materials and labor, the size of your bathroom, and the scope of the remodel. A small bathroom, under 36 square feet, may cost under $1,000 to remodel; while a larger bathroom , typically over 40 square feet, may be more expensive.
The National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA) has a Bathroom Planning Guide Handbook which can provide good planning practices that consider the needs of users, including lifestyle and design trends.
What adds value to a bathroom?
When remodeling a bathroom it is important to consider the improvement which can add monetary and non-monetary value to your home. Items which can increase the monetary value of the remodel include replacing the shower/bath, adding a low flow toilet, or adding new tile and countertops. Not commonly considered is the value new cabinetry adds to a bathroom. Adding new cabinetry can not only indicate that a bathroom’s floor plan was updated but it can also allow for increases in storage capacities. A bathroom with tins of storage might not increase the monetary value, but when reselling bathroom storage is something new homeowners greatly consider.
Can I remodel my bathroom myself?
When remodeling a bathroom, it is important to consider what can be done by a homeowner and what should be done by a professional contractor. Projects such as painting or installing new fixtures can be done by a homeowner. When it comes to installing new cabinetry, Wellborn Cabinet recommends using the help of one of our Authorized Contractors. An Authorized Contractor is experienced and knowledgeable in our cabinetry.
Money-Saving Bathroom Remodel Tips
Here are some money saving tips for planning a bathroom remodel:
- Skip the interior designers and use tools like Houzz or Pinterest for inspiration instead to get remodeling ideas.
- Spend on what’s going to provide the most value. This includes vanities that will transform your space and powder room cabinets that will increase storage.
- Avoid moving plumbing fixtures as this can greatly increase labor costs.
- Refinish soaking tubs, showers, and ceramic tile instead of replacing them
- Save on installation costs by installing your fixtures.
- Install wainscot to help cover up existing holes in the wall.
- Paint! It immediately freshens the look of a bathroom and you can save on labor by doing it yourself.
- Ask for free estimates. If you do need a general contractor to do some of the work, most should provide quotes for free.
- Consider reusing materials or buy used materials, if you can find them.
- If your vanity or bathroom cabinets are in good shape, you can refresh them by refinishing them and adding new hardware.
Check Out These Bathroom Remodel Ideas For Inspiration
This bathroom remodel was accomplished by joining a dark stained Melrose cabinet with light colored flooring and countertops. By combining these to contrasting colors, a luxurious design style can be created.
This affordable remodel was done by installing a dark stained Millbrook Square cabinet with gray colored flooring and countertops. By combining these to contrasting colors, a relaxing, spa-like design style can be created.
This space saving remodel was done by using custom painted Antigua cabinetry with white tile flooring and added ligting. In using these bold color choices and ample lighting, a hollywood glam design style can be created.
This traditional-looking remodel was done by using Drift stained Millbrook Square cabinetry with white tile flooring and an open floor plan. In using these color choices and upgraded fixtures, a very traditional design style can be created.
An affordable modern bathroom remodel was done by using a Matte Stone designer laminate Midtown door style with contemporary tile flooring and a void toe kick option. In using these design choices and space saving toe kick feature, a modern contemporary design style was created.