When deciding on new cabinetry for your kitchen, the first step is to choose the style of your cabinet doors. Wellborn offers various styles, fitting of any design trend, the most popular door styles are variations of traditional shaker cabinetry. Shaker style kitchen cabinet doors are classic and simple, so they complement a variety of kitchen designs.
Investing in Wellborn’s high-quality cabinetry saves homeowners the trouble of having to pour more money into your kitchen replacing low-quality cabinets.
What Are Shaker Style Cabinets?
Shaker kitchen cabinets are a popular trend in current kitchen renovations because of the timeless and simple look they give to either a traditional or contemporary design. The most basic shaker style cabinet door is a five-piece door with a recessed center panel and no additional edge detailing. The five-piece doors combined with five-piece drawer fronts create a finished look. Since Shaker doors work well with traditional, transitional, and even contemporary designs, the flat panel cabinet doors are also highly favored. The cabinetry styles for Shaker doors include inset, standard, and full overlay options providing an unbroken emphasis on craftsmanship.
- Inset: Inset cabinetry offers sleek lines, flush inset cabinet doors and features that can transform the look of a standard cabinet with a full overlay door. With an inset cabinet style, the doors and drawers rest inside of the cabinet face frame openings.
- Standard: The cabinet door and drawer faces are slightly larger than the openings, and slightly overlap the face frame. Standard overlays offer reveals if on the face frame and are more forgiving with door and drawer alignments.
- Full: The door and drawer faces are larger than the openings and overlap the face frame, leaving only a small visible reveal.
Why Is It Called Shaker Cabinetry?
Shaker style cabinets were originally built by the Shaker religious community predominantly during the 19th century. Guiding principles of the Shaker religion included simplicity, utility, and honesty. The simplicity and utility aspects of these principles were readily apparent in their hand-made, wooden furniture.
The Shaker design tends to avoid any flourishes of style, but rather in favor of simple and functional aesthetics. The simple and clean lines of Shaker cabinets lend themselves to placement in modern or contemporary kitchen designs, despite their traditional origin.
Are Shaker Cabinet Doors In Style?
Shaker kitchen cabinets are gaining popularity due to their clean lines and classic look. Shaker cabinets are often a natural wood finish or stained to bring out the natural wood hues in darker colors. Gray or white shaker cabinets are also prevalent in modern kitchens as they give off a light and inviting feel that many contemporary spaces pursue.
- Modern Shaker Style Kitchens: The modern kitchen designer appreciates Shaker-style cabinetry because it is clean and uncluttered. The doors can be left plain or cabinet hardware may be added, depending on a home-owners preference. While finished wood adds warmth to modern kitchens, Shaker cabinets look just as attractive painted black, white, gray, navy, and more. If you like the modern look of cabinets that boast beautiful dark wood grains, ask to see samples of Shaker cabinet doors made from ash or walnut.
- Transitional Shaker Kitchens: Transitional kitchen designers often select Shaker-style cabinets because they help to create the “transition” between traditional and modern kitchen elements. While a Shaker enthusiast may balk at any changes made to this traditionally pure cabinetry style, contemporary shaker cabinets can also be made with a slightly beveled edge. It’s a very small design difference, but that little extra adornment will also help to keep your kitchen from sliding into the modern design category.
- Traditional Shaker Style Kitchens: Even traditional kitchens can use this clean design style in their design. That aforementioned beveled edge will help to keep the look more traditional, as will a lighter wood finish or a paint color from a farmhouse or country kitchen palette, especially with a distressed cabinet glaze. Choosing antique or eclectic drawer and door hardware will also help to add that traditional feel to your cabinets.
Wellborn’s Shaker Cabinetry Door Style
Our Hancock door style is our most popular Shaker door style as it offers a more relaxed design style. With its softened Shaker design, Hancock doors can work with many of today’s favorite interior design styles. Whether you are working with an ultra-modern bathroom, a Craftsman-inspired kitchen, or a country chic design aesthetic Hancock doors can be easily added to your plans. Hancock’s most popular finish is our Glacier paint, which provides the perfect canvas for a traditional white kitchen cabinetry design.
Approaching a more transitional design style, Bishop has risen to popularity due to its crisp, clean lines. This Shaker-style cabinetry features a streamlined profile, simple paneled doors, and sleek hardware. Bishop’s most popular finish is our Dove paint, a soft, light gray painted finish. Simple and neutral are the two terms that are booming in the kitchen and bath industry and Bishop with Dove paint is just that.
With the popular trend of Shaker-style cabinetry, Prairie is the answer to all Shaker-inspired kitchens. It is a true shaker door due to the clean lines of the recessed-panel and wide door frames. Prairie’s most popular finish is a warm brown stain known as Drift. The Drift stain highlights the door’s natural features while staying in alignment with current trends. Prairie is a popular choice for kitchen remodels because of its minimalist layout and sharp squared edges.
While the above door styles showcase Wellborn’s popular options, there is something for everyone. Our ColorInspire program can accommodate any painted finish from a purple entertainment hutch to a mint master bath. Our Aspire melamine options offer high-gloss acrylic finishes. The possibilities are endless at Wellborn Cabinet.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are Shaker Style Cabinets?
Shaker avoids any flourishes of style in favor of simple and functional aesthetics. Shaker kitchen cabinets are a popular trend in kitchen renovations because of the timeless look they give to traditional or contemporary designs.
Are Shaker Cabinets Going Out of Style?
Not at all! In fact, shaker kitchen cabinets are gaining popularity due to their clean lines and classic look. The simple, clean lines of Shaker cabinets lend themselves to placement in modern or contemporary kitchen designs, despite their traditional origin.
Are Shaker Cabinets Good Quality?
Wellborn’s Shaker cabinets are incredibly high quality because of the craftsmanship and detail, and almost every line comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
Are Shaker Cabinets More Expensive?
Wellborn Cabinet has various product lines, each with their own advantages to fit any budget.