This day and time - anything goes with your kitchen backsplash… from D.I.Y. unique finds to professional works of art – it’s a place to express your style!
While there are current trends emerging everyday (you will see some in this post) we all seem to have our favorite backsplash material of choice.
Here’s a little “background on backsplashes” … (A backsplash is the wall space between the bottom of a wall cabinet and/or appliance and the base cabinet and/or appliance. This area needs to be constructed using materials that are easy to clean up from messes or “splashes” that occur during cooking.)
To even shed more light on the subject we sat down with our corporate designer Karen Sayler to get her expert opinion.
- What were the biggest backsplash trends for this year? “Backsplashes became more prominent –features with a lot more emphasis on physical and visual texture.”
- Has anything surprised you about these trends? “Not with backsplashes becoming more prominent, but the variety of materials being used for this purpose is rapidly expanding, and that is a good surprise.”
- Environmental friendly products is this a hot topic for backsplash materials? “There is an attempt at eco-friendly products for backsplashes, but I don’t think we have really seen a product that truly encompasses the complete life cycle of the product yet…or at least not on a mainstream level.”
- When designing a set for a trade show do you have different requirements or procedures for the backsplash then when you specify when working with a homeowner? “Absolutely. The walls break apart, move, and are transported on semi-trucks half way across the country. That makes it harder to do more complex designs or to use glass tile. In terms of glass tile, if there isn’t a back coating on the tile you will see the wall color through it due to how we install the tile versus using a traditional mortar bed and buttering the back of the tile.”
- What do you see trending for 2015? “More diverse materials for backsplashes such as wood, leather, painted glass, translucent materials with led back lighting. Also there has been a spike in utilizing the striking beauty of natural materials grain patterns (such as a linear grained marble) to create gorgeous “art” work in the space.”
- Personal question – what’s the craziest material you have ever created a backsplash out of or what is the one trend that you loved? And would still spec. today if you could :0) “Craziest material would have to be some old rough-hewn lumber that I then faux painted with multiple layers and colors. One trend that I have loved that is a timeless classic is subway tile. It never goes out of style, and I would spec it today knowing it would be relevant tomorrow.”
Thank you Karen for your time and sharing your knowledge with us!